1. Always wear your life jacket!
2. If you fall out of the boat, don't try to stand-up. Point your feet down river and float.
3. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
4. Know the water and air temperature to prevent hypothermia.
5. Be aware of river conditions and hazards at different water levels.
6. Wear shoes to protect against stepping on sharp objects.
7. Dress in layers to adjust to changes in temperature.
8. Always stay with your group. Have a plan to meet if you get seperated.
9. Never over estimate your swimming ability.
10. Don't jump off ledges, bridges, or rocks.
11. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.